Sunday, May 07, 2006

Condo (sa ilalim ng tulay).

While I am here living in a 300 sq. meter (yeah, I know right? It's the smallest lot we own. :p), 5-storey building in Makati, there are 12 families living under the tulay near our half-furnished building in Emilia St., Makati being coldly embraced by poverty. (yes, our 2nd building here in Makati is near the border separating Pasay from Makati and vice-versa)

I wasn't really fully aware of the situation the people there are in to (or should I say suffering from?).. until last night. Or at least, I think I am.

I have seen the environment of the area itself for what seems like years now. But as naive as I am, I blankly stare out the window of our car and give out a soft sigh. At a young age, it was all I could give along with the pity I feel for them.

But now, as I am close to being a young lady, I wish I could do something and make a difference. Helping the families living under the tulay would be great but I was kind of hoping to help a certain orphanage, as well.

As corny as it may sound, I was planning to spend my birthday in an orphanage in Pasay. The one my parents monthly donate to. But the tulay people also need my help. Hay. I just hope my dad would agree with what I am planning to do on my 14th birthday.. I would give groceries to the 12 families, then I'd have a children's party thrown in the orphanage.

I was really bothered with what I saw on TV last night and you know what, I was actually close to crying by the time I finished watching I-witness' documentary, condo (sa ilalim ng tulay) segment. The stories of the 12 families living down there tugged at my heart, and in a way it couldn't seem to let go.

Each family's story was sad and overwhelming. I really feel bad for them (awful, in fact). To think that I take most of the simple things in life for granted is just way off the border!

For the first time, in my life, I just realized how poor our country is; how hard it is to survive and go way up high with poverty pulling you down....

To think of it, I don't have anything compared to what the 12 families in the tulay has. I might only have half of what they have or probably nothing, at all.'Cause all though poverty has been their blanket for their entire lives, they have each other to turn to....

And they possess the most precious jewel in the world, LOVE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home